What is the Manipura Chakra? The characteristics of the third chakra
Manipura means ‘city of shining jewels’ in Sanskrit.
The third chakra encompasses a very important twofold aspect: who we are.
On the one hand it is the stronghold of the body because it holds our sense of self, also referred to as ego.
The quality of our ego (the awareness one has of oneself) depends on the kind of relationship we have with the world and the opinion others have of us, who are different and other than we are.
Hence the very strong feeling of being separate, alone, of being individualised particles that ask themselves: ‘What purpose do I have in my life? What do I want to do? Who do I want to be?”
By answering these questions we unconsciously define the idea of ourself, gradually and more and more precisely. This idea, crystallising, becomes ‘ourself‘.
On the other hand, the third chakra also holds the willpower, energy and self-esteem that help us in our ‘evolutionary transformation’ after realising that we are not exactly that idea… and how we use the energy of this centre determines the quality and depth of the change in who we really are.
It is important to give direction and structure to our individuality, but transparency is equally necessary, so that we can see the whole reality around us, even if it is different and beyond our limits.
What the third Chakra is connected to:
- one’s identity
- the future
- personal power
- body heat
- the color yellow
How to balance the Manipura Chakra:
- contemplate and meditate on the sun and all forms in nature that represent it
- practise Pranayama (diaphragmatic breathing and kapalabhati)
- practise yoga exercises for the eyes
- practise strong, twisting asanas
- dance around a bonfire
- play creative games
- eat yellow food
- avoid sweets and stimulating foods or drinks
- use the colour yellow in clothing and accessories
- listen to rhythmic and energetic sounds
- stimulate the sense of smell with essences of rosemary and bergamot, but also lavender and vetiver
- use crystals: amber, topaz, yellow citrine, tiger’s eye
Follow Monica on Facebook Monica Yoga Libera Tutti